What Are Essential Oils?
If you’re looking into essential oils, you’ve probably came up against a health issue and looking for more natural remedies since conventional medicine has failed. At least that’s where I was when I began using essential oils. I had used OTC medications for years to help relieve my gastric issues. Little did I realize that extensive use of those can deplete necessary vitamins and minerals from your system. Couple that with the overuse of ibuprofen and Goody’s powders for dealing with headaches and pinched nerve really did a number on my stomach. I began using ginger tea for my stomach but it was only mildly helping. I discovered using essential oil was much more effective. I just diluted ginger essential oil and rubbed on my chest and stomach. I also discovered copaiba oil for my inflammation. Along the way I have used essential oils from everything to dealing with my daughter’s acne to colds, insomnia, cleaning, psoriasis, warts and a host of other uses.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are a product of distillation or other methods of extraction of the aromatic substances found in plants. They have been used for centuries and have scientifically proven to be beneficial. You can find many of the scientific studies here. Just type in which oil you want to research.
Things to consider when using essential oils:
- Make sure you are you buying a quality oil. Many companies use fillers and chemicals in their oils.
- You may want to try a test patch when using oils for the first time.
- Essential oils can be used topically, aromatically or internally. I personally only take internally if I have a major heartburn going on or if I’m trying to relieve a bad cold. Once again, make sure it’s the highest quality when taking interally.
- Certain oils have contraindications with medicines or health conditions. Check those out before using any oil. For example, Wintergreen should not be used with anyone on blood thinners.
- Be cautious and research when using on children and pregnant women.
- Many oils need to be diluted with a carrier oil such as coconut oil or sweet almond oil. Ask my husband about undiluted cinnamon oil!
- Several oils in the citrus family can cause phototoxicity. So don’t rub on grapefruit essential oil and then go work in your garden. Just dilute very well if you plan on going outside.